Ever since I started playing around with the Raspberry Pi, I wanted to push its limits further by experimenting with more demanding projects. The latest project I worked on was to build a fully featured home theater/media center using a Raspberry Pi. I had the following goals in mind when I started working on this project.
- Be able to play movies and TV shows in most common video formats.
- Show movie information such as name, year, genre, tagline, synopsis, cast and rating.
- Keep track of movies I have already watched.
- Make suggestions on new/upcoming movies based on my preferences.
- Standard IR remote control for interaction.
- Access to online streaming services such as Youtube.
- Support for plugins and extensions to add additional functionality.